Thursday, August 19, 2021

Fodder grass

My neighbor farm has cows and they grow fodder grasses. Seeing that tall grasses, I enquired the details and it looks like it matures in around 3 months and after that it can be cut in every 2 months. One grass cut would be enough food for a cows for a day. Since it creates so much biomass, thought of growing some on an experimental basis. The neighbour grows super napier grass which is a hybrid variety and I can see some other fodder grasses growing in some parts of the farm, don't know its name. One thing I noticed was that, it decomposes slowly and hence controls weeds effectively.

I got some cuttings from the neighbor farm and planted it here and there. Also got some seeds, and sown them.

Here are some pictures ...around 1 month old...






No comments: