I have been maintaining a vegetable patch for some time now, this year I am continuing that with few changes. I made long no-till raised beds,and for constant mulching material, planted fodder grass at the sides of each bed, but fodder grass grows very quickly and is a problem to manage and they shade the beds also. This year I changed to for each 2 beds, there are two rows of fodder grass. Although fodder grass mulch takes time to decompose, can not see good plant growth with just that. So added few glyricidea and mexican sunflower along with fodder grass. Mexican sunflower and glyricidea mulch decomposes much quickly. Another thing is that in heavy rain, soil comes back to pathway from beds, so keep piling soil at the base of each plant, once in a while. Soil piling at the base, has got good impact. Typically mulch with mexican flower leaves, after a few days, they will decompose, then a pile soil and then mulch again with fodder grass or mexican sunflower.

This is Mangaluru Oru Vendai, a variety of lady's finger. It is quite productive.
Vengeri brinjal variety
Bird's eye chilli
I get plenty of chillies...
No comments:
Post a Comment